Studying Recent Memory in Patients before and after Regional Anesthesia
Background: Memory has an important role in our social life. General anesthesia has long been known to negatively affect the recent memory. It is also necessary to study the recent memory changes upon regional anesthesia.
Methods: This study is cohort, before-after type, which was accomplished at Imam Khomeini hospital. The recent memory was evaluated before and after regional anesthesia using Wechsler memory scale-revised V. The obtained data were analyzed using SPSS 25 software to calculate median, mean, standard deviation and p-value.
Results: 220 women and 180 men with an average age of 42.7 years old were interviewed, among which 248 patients had accompanied diseases and/or history of former surgeries. It was found that recent memory function reduces upon regional anesthesia. Moreover, different aspects of memory do not exhibit similar extent of sensitivity to anesthesia; logical memory and number repeat reduced pronouncedly.
Conclusion: Regional Anesthesia causes recent memory loss and cognitive disorders.
2. Zurek AA, Yu J, Wang D-S, Haffey SC, Bridgwater EM, Penna A, et al. Sustained increase in α5GABAA receptor function impairs memory after anesthesia. J Clin Invest. 2014; 124(12):5437-41.
3. Run XL, Zhihoua; Zhang, Land; Iqbal, Khalida; Grundke-Iqbal, Ingea; Gong, Cheng-Xina. Anesthesia Induces Phosphorylation of Tau. J Alzheimers Dis. 2009; 16(3): 619-26.
4. Hanning CD. Postoperative cognitive dysfunction. Br J Anaesth. 2005; 95(1):82-7.
5. Newman S, Stygall J, Hirani S, Shaefi S, Maze M. Postoperative Cognitive Dysfunction after Noncardiac Surgery: A Systematic Review. Anesthesiology. 2007; 106(3):572-90.
6. Fodale V, Santamaria LB, Schifilliti D, Mandal PK. Anaesthetics and postoperative cognitive dysfunction: a pathological mechanism mimicking Alzheimer’s disease. Anaesthesia. 2010; 65(4):388-95.
7. Ghoneim MM, Block RI. Learning and Memory during General Anesthesia: An Update. Anesthesiology. 1997; 87(2):387-410.
8. Hasan Araqi-Zadeh SMM-ZB, Marziyeh Lak, Mohammad-Reza Sadriyan. Studying Effects of General and Spinal Anesthesia On Recent and Remote Memory. Kowsar Medical Journal (Persian). 2005; 10(4):5.
9. Bertaina-Anglade V EE, Morillon D, Drieu la Rochelle C. The object recognition task in rats and mice: a simple and rapid model in safety pharmacology to detect amnesic properties of a new chemical entity. J Pharmacol Toxicol Methods. 2006; 54(2):7.